Ellen Lindner, Adventure Quilts
June 2013 Newsletter

Double Reverse Applique
Starts
Online July 5th

The portrait below is the first thing I ever did with the technique I now call Double Reverse Applique. Yes, this technique is THAT easy and accurate! I was very excited about these results, which led me to develop the class.

Image - a young girl in tan and brown

Image - red apple on green and blue backgroundBelieve it or not, the class project, the 3D apple at right, is actually harder than the portrait. But that's okay. I always like to challenge my students while they have me "looking over their shoulders." That way, they're prepared for whatever they may later encounter on their own.

If you'd like to learn this fantastic technique, including how to make your own patterns for it, join me online starting on July 5th!

See student results and full information.

The Value of Non-Productivity

After recently completing a problematic quilt, I felt like taking a break before starting the next one. So, I decided to do some design and creativity exercises with pencil and paper.

Image - zinnia sketching - abstraction

For instance, I played around with abstracting a zinnia, focusing on the shadows. When doing such exercises, my goal is NOT to create a quilt design. That's just way too much pressure! Instead, my goal is to simply play and experiment. I know my time spent in this way will produce non tangible results, even if I don't come up with a viable quilt sketch.

You can read much more about my design exercises as I post them on my blog. I highly recommend this sort of activity for working quickly, trying out new things and jump starting new ideas. It's never time wasted!

-

Next Online Class

July 5, 2013
Double Reverse Applique

Class Info

New on Website

- Design Your Own Nature Quilt Student Gallery: 4 additions
- Instant Art Quilt Student Gallery: 2 additions

New on Blog

- Florida SAQA Event
- Masters 2 Exhibit
- Speaking at my Home Guild
- Note for a Friend #7-9
- Fabric Bombing Details
Blog home

Subscribe to Newsletter

Use the button below to subscribe to the newsletter, sign up for advance class notifications, or manage your existing subscription.

Subscribe to
Newsletter
Safe Subscribe

Amazing Student Work

Image - poppies in front of picket fence

I love showing off my students' results, here on my website. And this month I've added SIX new finished quilts! As an example, here's "Summer Splendor," made by Barbara Fyffe. She started this in a "Design Your Own Nature Quilt" class, earlier this year. You can see her inspiration photo on my blog.

Please check out all my students' new work in the Design Your Own Nature Quilt gallery as well as the Instant Art Quilt Gallery. Maybe your quilt can show up there one day, too!

What's New

Did you have a chance to check out the photos of my fabric bombing? If so, perhaps you'll be interested in how well the whole project held up. I left it up for a month. During that time, I didn't detect any fading fabrics, but some of the cotton "clothesline" strips did begin to sag. (We had a lot of rain during that time, so every time the pieces got drenched their weight pulled everything down.)

Once I took the fabrics down, a closer look revealed that a couple of older (?) brown fabrics did fade significantly. However, they were the only ones. All the rest of the cottons (many batiks) held up beautifully, as did the synthetic fabrics. Now, I have some wonderful "scraps." I'm not sure I should use them, though. I think I'll display a few of the prayer flags, and use some of the synthetic fabrics here and there. Hand washing first, of course!

Ellen

If you found this information useful, you may be interested in my free articles, online classes, and e-books. You'll find a full directory here.

©2013 Ellen Lindner, www.adventurequilter.com
Contact Ellen.