Ellen Lindner, Adventure Quilts
March 2014 Newsletter
Quilt Show in Melbourne, FL
Free Color Lecture
March 7th & 8th

On March 7th and 8th my local quilt guild will host the "Timeless Treasures" quilt show in Melbourne, FL. It's always an excellent show with over 300 quilts, free demonstrations, wonderful vendors, and special exhibits.

Mountain Meadow, an art quilt by Ellen Lindner, AdventureQuilter.com
Mountain Meadow

I'll be doing my part at noon each day when I conduct a presentation called "Color Matters.". In my 30 minute time slot I'll only touch on the very tip of the color ice berg, but I'll still be able to share some useful ideas and information. I hope to see you there!

(You can also read about color in my free articles section of this website.)

Update: While working on this newsletter I got word that 3 of my quilts in the show have won ribbons. Woohoo!

Dirty Dozen Fiber Artists
"Perspective" Exhibit

High Ti, an art quilt by Ellen Lindner, AdventureQuilter.com

While visiting the Melbourne quilt show, be sure to check out the exhibit on the stage. There you'll find about 20 wonderful pieces created by the Dirty Dozen Fiber Artists, a small group to which I belong. Called "Perspectives," the exhibit will showcase the talents of this diverse group.

(My piece, High Ti at right.)

See my 8 contributions to these two displays.

Make an Easy Beaded Name Tag

Ellen Lindner name tag, AdventureQuilter.com

As part of all this quilt show excitement, I needed to make a new nametag. I had so much fun with it, I thought you might like to learn how I did it. If so, check out the tutorial.

Red Strata

Red Strata, an art quilt by Ellen Lindner, AdventureQuilter.com

My latest quilt, Red Strata, is finally complete. I'm quite happy with it, but I took a pretty round about path to get there.

I didn't have a clear plan for these vibrant fabrics when I started and I think that was a problem. It launched me into a lot of time consuming trial and error. But, the quilt slowly got better, so I kept at it.

Since I was adding lots of hand stitching to this quilt, it slowed me down and gave me time to think about what was needed at each stage. (See the detail shot below.) That was a good thing!

Eventually I finished it.

And then decided that it needed to be turned upside down! Go figure.

Red Strata - detail, an art quilt by Ellen Lindner, AdventureQuilter.com

Red Strata, full information and larger detail shot

Learn how you can audition this quilt in your home

-

Upcoming Events

- March 7 & 8, Color lecture at Timeless Treasures Quilt Show, Melbourne, FL
- March 29-30, "EGAD In Bloom," Eau Gallie, FL

Art on Tour

New on Website

Name Tag Tutorial
Red Strata

New on Blog

- World Quilt Show - Florida 2014, Parts One and Two
- Designing with Teenagers
- New Beaded Name Tag
- A Well Oiled Machine

Blog home

Subscribe to Newsletter

Use the button below to subscribe to the newsletter, sign up for advance class notifications, or manage your existing subscription.

Subscribe to
Newsletter
Safe Subscribe

Ellen Lindner - Adventure Quilter

Fun Teaching

Carolyn's colorful Instant Art Quilt, made in a class with Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com
As I mentioned, last month, I'm looking forward to pumping my teaching schedule back up. It's just so much fun for me, and I my students seem to enjoy it as much as I do.

Here are a few photos of our fun in an Instant Art Quilt class in Hudson, FL. These photos were taken at about the 2 1/2 hour mark of a 3 hour class. These ladies are QUILTING their quilts! How's that for instant?

Carolyn at work on her bright quilt (Right)

Cindy and Mary's Instant Art Quilts, in-progress, in a class with Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com

(Left) Cindy and Mary chose softer colors and added accent fabrics for a drama.

Dot enjoying sewing on her Instant Art Quilt in a class with Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com

(Right) Dot had fun creating a very colorful and successful quilt.

For now, I'm limiting my teaching travels to the state of Florida. I'm often available on short notice, so keep me in mind. I'd love to teach for your group!

Class descriptions

Something Entirely New: EGAD In Bloom

EGAD In BloomI'm about to try something entirely new: vending at a flower and plant festival! I know that's not a typical way to sell art quilts, but I just want to introduce them to flower and plant loving people. (Since most of my quilts feature plants.) I'm mostly hoping for compliments and friendly conversations. But, a few sales would be very nice, as well.

The event is called EGAD In Bloom! (EGAD stands for Eau Gallie Arts District, which is a very interesting part of Melbourne, FL.) Held on March 29th and 30th, both indoors and out, the event will include a plant sale, all sorts of horticultural speakers, food vendors, art vendors, music, and more.

Find full information here

What's New

Design all showing one of Ellen Lindner's quilt in progress, AdventureQuilter.com/blog

Oh I'm busy, and I love it! In addition to the show and sales events mentioned above, I'm also teaching art to teenagers and - although challenging at times - it is quite a bit of fun!

Also, I'm slowly working on a new lecture and a new class. Very exciting!

And, of course, I've got a new quilt underway. (Those teenagers helped me with it.)

Read about all my adventures on my blog.

I hope you get to go to some quilt shows this spring!

Ellen Lindner
P. S. Feel free to pin any of these images. I love to share my enthusiasm for quilting!

If you found this information useful, you may be interested in my free articles, online classes, and e-books. You'll find a full directory here.

©2014 Ellen Lindner, www.adventurequilter.com
Contact Ellen.