Ellen Lindner, Adventure Quilts
November 2013 Newsletter
Sticky Fingers
Starts November 1st
October 29th

Image - Ellen Lindner Cruciform #4
Why start a class early? Because I'll be going to the Houston International Quilt Festival! Woohoo! As a result, I've decided to post the first lesson a few days early. (I'll leave the original ending date, so students will get a few extra days in this class.)

This glued collage technique is super fast and easy. No quilting, binding, or hanging sleeves required!

I'll be showing how to make the sample at left. However, I encourage students to try their own designs, so your project may look completely different. Check out the student gallery to see some exciting examples.

You can join in the fun when the class starts October 29th. With only two online lessons, you should be finished before Thanksgiving (November 21st.) See full details.

Thorns and Berries

Ellen Lindner Thorns and Berries
I made this quilt, "Thorns and Berries" a couple of months ago. I completely finished it, sleeve and all, before I decided I wasn't quite happy with it. The thorns just didn't show up well enough for my liking. I let it live on my design wall for a few weeks and auditioned some potential solutions. Eventually, I simply colored the thorns with watercolor pencils, and I'm now happy with it.

You can see more details about the quilt here.

Or see the inspiration photo (a pygmy palm,) in-progress photos, and more on my blog.

-

Next Online Class

October 29th
Sticky Fingers

Class Info

New on Website

Thorns and Berries
Bravo for Backgrounds, Part 2

New on Blog

- "Rather Odd Hair"
- Odd Hair: Pony Tails and Scary Mouths
- Odd Hair: Sketching
- "The Cows Enjoyed Her Singing"
- Stitching Childhood Memories
- "Croton Leaves"
- For the SAQA Trunk Show
- "The Last Few Dates"
Blog home

Subscribe to Newsletter

Use the button below to subscribe to the newsletter, sign up for advance class notifications, or manage your existing subscription.

Subscribe to
Newsletter
Safe Subscribe

Bravo for Backgrounds

Image - Ellen Lindner Lakeside Citrus

If you read part one of "Bravo for Backgrounds," you know how important it is to provide visual contrast with your quilt background.

Part two explains additional ways to add interest to a quilt background. Like the watery shapes and undulations in "Lakeside Citrus," at left. Or the angled fabrics in "Thorns and Berries," above.

You'll find Part Two here.

Or, read Part One, if you missed it.

What's New

Image - Ellen Lindner Odd HairI'm still having fun working on a series of quilts about childhood memories. The latest has to do with a wacky hair day for me, and great restraint on the part of my mom. You can see the finished quilt and many in-progress photos on my blog.

I'm SO excited about going to the Houston quilt show! It was a late decision for me and I know I'll have a blast. I'll be catching up with my quilt, "Crotons." An added bonus.

Ellen

If you found this information useful, you may be interested in my free articles, online classes, and e-books. You'll find a full directory here.

©2013 Ellen Lindner, www.adventurequilter.com
Contact Ellen.