Ellen Lindner, Adventure Quilts
January 2014 Newsletter
Happy New Year!

Majesty, a fabric collage by Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com
Did you have a good holiday? I hope so! I enjoyed spending time with family and doing things together at a (mostly) leisurely pace.

Looking into 2014, I see several exciting things on the horizon. And perhaps some challenging ones. But, I'm ready to move onward.

I don't make New Year's resolutions. Instead, I make short-term goals throughout the year, as the need arises. I find this to be both less stressful and more productive.

The piece above is called Majesty, made in 2005. It's layers of sheer materials, stitched and melted.

Double Reverse Applique
Online Class
January 3

Ellen Lindner - class sample Double Reverse AppliqueAfter a busy holiday season, why not reward yourself with an online class? You can learn an exciting new technique right from the comfort of your home. No need to lug your sewing machine to class or wish for the perfect fabric left behind. Only minimal computer skills are needed. Read more about the online learning experinece and my money back guarantee here.

You can give it a try on January 3rd, when the next Double Reverse Applique class begins. This technique is not only easy, but also extremely useful and versatile.

In this class you'll:
- Master the the Double Reverse Applique technique,
- Make the killer apple project shown here,
- And learn how to make your own patterns for future DRA projects.

Join the excitement on January 3rd! See student results and full information.

"Quiet Dappled Light"

Quiet Dappled Light, an art quilt by Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.comMy latest quilt was inspired by the book "Art Quilt Maps," by Valerie Goodwin. It included a chapter about making a quilt based on a haiku. Remember those from High School? I needed a refresher: 3 lines of prose, with 5 syllables, 7 syllabes, and 5 syllables respectively. I wasn't initially excited about this idea, but by the time I got to the end of the book, I was anxious to give it a try.

My haiku is about a particular country road in the area where I grew up.
Rolling hills of green
Trees right up next to the road
Quiet Dappled Light

From there, I followed Valerie's suggested steps and this is the final result. The layers of paint, sheers, and hand stitching hint at the story, while the road and words complete it. I like that, especially since the inspiration location has pleasant memories for me.

In my opinion,the beauty of this piece lies within its details, and in the story conveyed. You can learn more about both of those on my blog.

It was both fun and nostalgic to create this little quilt.  Plus, I feel that it nurtured my creativity, since I used a completely new process in  its design and execution.  I always think it's good to dry different media and/or different processes every now and then. 

See more information and detail shot here.

-

Next Online Class

Double Reverse Applique
January 3, 2014

Class Info

Upcoming Events
- Through January 8, 2014, Point of View exhibit, Jacksonville, FL
- Feb. 25 & 26, Lecture and workshop, Sun City Center, FL

Art on Tour

New on Website

- Croton Leaves 2 & 3
- Quiet Dappled Light

New on Blog

- Interactions and Inspirations
- "Art Quilt Maps"
- Haiku Quilt: Collaging and Hand Stitching
- Haiku Quilt: Paint and Sheers
- "Quiet Dappled Light"
- Making a Pojagi
- Merry Christmas!
- "Morning Calm" Pojagi Complete

Blog home

Subscribe to Newsletter

Use the button below to subscribe to the newsletter, sign up for advance class notifications, or manage your existing subscription.

Subscribe to
Newsletter
Safe Subscribe

Ellen Lindner - Adventure Quilter

An Abundance of Crotons

Croton Leaves 2, a small art quilt by Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com

When I hosted an art reception in my home, I wanted to show a few pieces in-progress. Since I had recently made "Croton Leaves," I decided to use that same pattern to partially make two more. Since then, I've completed them.

Croton Leaves 3, a small art quilt by Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.com

"Croton Leaves 2" is on the left and "Croton Leaves 3" is on the right. Each smaller than a piece of typing paper, they were great fun to make! Click on either image to see more information.

"Morning Calm" a Pojagi

Morning Calm, a pojagi by Ellen Lindner, adventurequilter.comMy son is obsessed with all things Korean. So, for Christmas, he asked me to make him a pojagi. This is a Korean style of patchwork which is somewhat sheer and also reversible. It's made with one layer of solid colored fabrics, usually in a very close color combination. The seams are "French" seams, like you see on jeans.

I worked on this for much longer than I expected, but I'm happy with the results. My son was thrilled with it and he named it "Morning Calm." (Actually, he calls it by the Korean translation, which is what I embroidered on as the name.)

Morning Calm, title detail, a pojagi by Ellen Lindner adventurequilter.com

Pojagis are considered art and are hung on either a wall or in front of a window. In Korea, there's no type of quilt-like tradition for beds.

You can read more about this pojagi on my blog.

What's New

Ellen Lindner Pinterest proflie header
As you can see from the photos above, I stayed pretty busy creating quilts in the last month. I've also invested a lot of time into learning about Pinterest, and pinning many wonderful images onto my various boards.Ellen Lindner Nature Quilts Pinterst board

If you're on Pinterest, I hope you'll check out my boards. You might be interested in my Nature Quilts board. It currently features 84 exquisite quilts, (all made by artists other than myself.) I hope you'll also consider following one or more of my boards.

Enjoy the adventure of quilting!
Ellen

P.S. The largest image shown at right, is “Headwaters” by Gay Ousley.

If you found this information useful, you may be interested in my free articles, online classes, and e-books. You'll find a full directory here.

©2013 Ellen Lindner, www.adventurequilter.com
Contact Ellen.