After altering the background of my quilt, so it didn’t completely copy the sketch, I took a different approach as I added the various elements. I decided to copy them fairly closely, but to give myself PLENTY of latitude when altering them. This is the sketch.
And this is the background.
I added the two large flowers, my favorite of the elements.
Then the brown semi-circle. I wasn’t too sure about using it at all, but I thought I had to at least audition it.
My first brown cut was too skinny, so I added another line beside it. But, I HATED the shape of it! A change was definitely needed!
Back to a single line, with a shorter shape. And another partial circle nestled in. As you can see, I also added some orange shapes on the right. I thought that color needed to be repeated somewhere, so I let the sketch suggest the location.
I really disliked the hash marks, especially since they were done in a muddy olive-green color. But, again, I felt like I had to at least try them.
I made mine skinnier and more irregular. Perhaps they weren’t so bad, after all.
Looking back at the sketch perhaps you can see a faint whitish circle in the lower left corner. It was made with a white paint stick, which served as a resist to the wet paint added later. I wanted to add something similar to my quilt, but decided to alter the location.
I like the faint sketchy character of it.
Finally, I shrunk the size of the right orange shape and added white lines to the flowers.
I’m really loving this! Next will come some hand stitching and quilting.